Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Customizing the Chromebook Shelf
Tech Tip - Make Websites into App Icons for the Chromebook Shelf
The shelf area along the bottom portion of the Chromebook screen is a great place to have your favorite apps and websites.
It makes them easily accessible. The shelf can be customized with your favorite app and website links.
A lesser known trick is how to take a favorite website, turn it into an icon and have it accessible from your shelf.
You could have students add your classroom website to their shelf. Here are the steps to do that.
1. While on your Chromebook, browse to the website you want to add as a shelf app icon.
2. Click on the Chrome Menu (top right - three dots).
3. Click on More Tools from the menu that opens.
4. Choose Add to Shelf from the sub menu that opens.
5. Either click on add or rename the app if desired and then click on add. Your website is now a shelf icon!
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"